Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Don't let fear be an excuse for IN-action.

"Decision is the ultimate power" -Tony Robbins

In the face of new experiences or uncomfortable change, the human body seeks patterns of comfort and safety. It's almost like a computer program that automatically turns on when we get confronted with the brand new stimulus. It can be a new job, a new relationship, a lifestyle change, a nutritional change, or a new movement that looks scary as hell. It can look something like this:

Client overcoming her fear (one of my favorite moments) :)


Client: "There's no way... You better stand there...or someone better stand right there"
Me: "Focus on the movement. Arms back, hips tucked back, knees bent, chest up. You got this!" 
"Shit here we go...."                                              














                                                                                                                           
                                                                        
"Did you see that?!"

It's a funny thing though. I remember as a child, I'd be fascinated by things or experiences I hadn't seen before. It's like I ran towards those things with full resolve to pique my infinite curiosity. "The colors!.. that looks funny..I want to be able to do that... I want to try!" Sound familiar? Maybe its the kid you noticed on the playground trying new things that their parents didn't approve of. Maybe it's your child. Maybe it was you, once upon a time.


We are told to be careful, to be calculated, proceed with caution..insert precautionary disclaimer here _____________. Yes, I agree there is an element of assessing your options, and making sure you are being safe in the process. But, when did that become a reason to not act at all. I feel as though the more we calculate, the more we assess, and the more possibilities we run in our mind, the element of the unknown becomes apparent...FAST. The unknown is scary. I admit, I fear the unknown too. Heck I feared judgment for even writing this post. However, I know what waits on the other side is the opportunity to grow. The opportunity to self-actualize into a better version of yourself. That's more inspiring to me than any fear or challenge. Don't get me wrong, I still feel the fear, but the difference is acknowledging that its there. Realizing that however rational or irrational it may seem, it exists for a reason.

Let me paint a physiological picture: New opportunity is presented-->

You feel your heart beat a little faster, you feel your skin getting a little warmer, and you feel your muscles tense up. It's like your body is getting ready for something.


It's like kid president says "you got air comin' through your lungs! You got a heart beat...It means it's time to DO something" (If you don't know who kid president is, look him up on youtube. I guarantee you will be inspired!)

Whatever that something is, you have a choice. As a matter of fact we ALWAYS have a choice. You are choosing to read this blog post right now. You could have looked at the title and said....naw I don't want to see what this is about. But, I'm glad you decided to read on and give this post a chance.

You can either RUN like hell, or use your heightened physiology to change your mindset, change the way you eat, change the way you move, and transform your life! The decision is yours.




Much love,
               Sumair


No comments:

Post a Comment